Q&A: Theology and Philosophy
David H. Bailey
21 Apr 2013 (c) 2013
This section lists numerous questions in the area of theology, philosophy and related topics, and then presents answers based on best available scholarship. This material was assembled by the editor, except where otherwise indicated. Each page linked to below includes detailed references.
- What are the theological advantages to an evolutionary worldview?
- What are the merits of recent claims by atheistic scholars against religion?
- Are there benefits to religious belief and participation?
- Does the Bible allow for creation via an evolutionary process?
- Is the Bible inerrant?
- Can the Bible be read as a scientific textbook?
- Is the big bang cosmology in conflict with Judeo-Christian theology?
Big bang theology
- Can we take a 'cafeteria' approach to science and religion?
- Is there a conspiracy among scientists on evolution or big bang cosmology?
- Is the scientific picture of an earth and biological species formed over several billion years in conflict with the Judeo-Christian Bible?
- How do other scholars view Richard Dawkins' recent book The God Delusion?
- Is God a Great Deceiver?
- Is science or religion to blame for the decline of modern society?
- Does modern science lead to a mechanistic, deterministic worldview that negates human free agency?
- The natural world is well known for being "red in tooth and claw." Are there any more elevating features, in keeping with the principles of Judeo-Christian theism?
- Can the existence of God be established by scientific experimentation? Is God a scientific hypothesis?
- Can (or should) God be found in the gaps of scientific knowledge?
God of the gaps
- Is it true, as physicist Stephen Hawking and other scientists have claimed, that modern physics removes the need to believe in God?
- Intelligent design writers argue that "methodological naturalism" underlies all of modern science. How do scientists respond?
- Does modern science repudiate miracles?
- Does modern science undermine morality?
- Is the notion of a world and universe largely governed by comprehensible natural laws in conflict with Judeo-Christian theism?
- What are the standards for peer-reviewed scientific research?
- Certain postmodern scholars argue that all of modern science is "socially constructed," and that all scientific assertions are "forever tentative," with no claim to ultimate truth. How do scientists respond?
- What is the "idea of progress" and how does it relate to harmony between science and religion?
- Will religion just fade away?
Religion fade away
- What do major religious leaders and denominations say about the "war" between science and religion?
- Is there a "royal road" to science and religion?
- Does science have all the answers?
- What is "scientific materialism" and how does it enter into the science-religion discussion?
- What do leading scientists and scientific societies say about the "war" between science and religion?
- What do major theologians say about the "war" between science and religion?
- In spite of all its scientific and technological progress, isn't society becoming more and more violent?
- What is science?
What is science?