Q&A: Theology and Philosophy
David H. Bailey
03 Jun 2014 (c) 2014
This section lists numerous questions in the area of theology, philosophy and related topics, and then presents answers based on best available scholarship. This material was assembled by the editor, except where otherwise indicated. Each page linked to below includes detailed references.
- What are the theological advantages to an evolutionary worldview?
- How should one view the "new atheist" literature?
- Are there benefits to religious belief and participation?
- Is the Bible supported by modern archaeology?
- Does the Bible allow for creation via an evolutionary process?
- Is the Bible inerrant?
- Can the Bible be read as a scientific textbook?
- Is the big bang cosmology in conflict with Judeo-Christian theology?
Big bang theology
- Can we take a 'cafeteria' approach to science and religion?
- Is there a conspiracy among scientists?
- Are there controversies among scientists?
- Is the scientific picture of creation in conflict with the Judeo-Christian Bible?
- How do other scholars view Richard Dawkins' recent book The God Delusion?
- Is God a Great Deceiver?
- Is modern society in sharp decline?
- Is science or religion to blame for the decline of modern society?
- Does modern science lead to a mechanistic, deterministic worldview that negates human free agency?
- Is the "red in tooth and claw" natural world consistent with Judeo-Christian theism?
- Is there a theology of evolution?
- Can the existence of God be established by scientific experimentation? Is God a scientific hypothesis?
- Can (or should) God be found in the gaps of scientific knowledge?
God of the gaps
- Is it true, as Stephen Hawking and others have claimed, that modern physics removes the need to believe in God?
- What is the history of the war between science and religion?
- Is "methodological naturalism" presumed in modern science?
- Does modern science repudiate miracles?
- Does modern science undermine morality?
- Is a universe governed by comprehensible natural laws in conflict with Judeo-Christian theism?
- What are the standards for peer-reviewed scholarship?
- Is modern science is "socially constructed" and "forever tentative"?
- What is the "idea of progress" and how does it relate to harmony between science and religion?
- Will religion just fade away?
Religion fade away
- What do major religious leaders and denominations say about the "war" between science and religion?
- Is there a "royal road" to science and religion?
- Does science have all the answers?
- What is "scientific materialism" and how does it enter into the science-religion discussion?
- What do leading scientists and scientific societies say about the "war" between science and religion?
- What do major theologians say about the "war" between science and religion?
- In spite of all its scientific and technological progress, isn't society becoming more and more violent?
- What is science?
What is science?