David H. Bailey
1 Jan 2017 (c) 2017
This section lists numerous questions in the area of theology, philosophy and related topics, and then presents answers based on best available scholarship. This material was assembled by the editor, except where otherwise indicated. Each page linked to below includes detailed references.
- How should one view the "new atheist" literature?
- Can we take a 'cafeteria' approach to science and religion?
- Is there a conspiracy among scientists?
- Are there controversies among scientists?
- How do other scholars view Richard Dawkins' recent book The God Delusion?
- Is modern society in decline?
- Is science or religion to blame for the decline of modern society?
- Does modern science lead to a mechanistic, deterministic worldview that negates human free agency?
- Is it true, as Stephen Hawking and others have claimed, that modern physics removes the need to believe in God?
- What is the history of the war between science and religion?
- Is "methodological naturalism" presumed in modern science?
- Does modern science undermine morality?
- What are the standards for peer-reviewed scholarship?
- Is modern science is "socially constructed" and "forever tentative"?
- What is the "idea of progress" and how does it relate to harmony between science and religion?
- Is there a "royal road" to science and religion?
- What is "scientific materialism" and how does it enter into the science-religion discussion?
- Is science based on secular humanism? Is secular humanism an entirely secular philosophy?
- In spite of all its scientific and technological progress, isn't society becoming more and more violent?
- What is science?
What is science?